DS4Skills has also defined the set of roles that compose data spaces and data space use cases:
- Data Space Governance Authority: The data space participant that is accountable for creating, developing, maintaining and enforcing a governance framework for a particular data space, without replacing the role of public enforcement authorities. The DSGA can propose open-source building blocks to facilitate data transactions and the technical, business and governance aspects of those transactions.
- Service provider: A data space participant that provides a (technical or non-technical) service (data space application service), that uses data that is available within a data space, and provides results thereof to (other) data space participants. Examples include analytics services, data quality services and the like.
- Service providers for individuals: A service provider that provides a data space application service to individuals.
- Data space application service for organisations: A service provider that provides a data space application service to organisations.
- Data Provider: A data space participant that, in the context of a specific data transaction, technically provides data to the data recipients that have a right or duty to access and/or receive that data.
- Provider of Personal Data: A data provider that provides personal data.
- Provider of Organisational Data: A data provider that provides data about organisations.
- End users: Organisations that are not necessarily data space participants but that use data space products provided, for instance, in the context of a data space use case.
- Organisational end users: end users that are legal persons.
- Individual end users: end users that are natural persons.
- Data Intermediary: A data space participant that provides one or more data space enabling services (identity, catalogue, consent, contract, interoperability, etc) while not directly participating in the data transactions itself.
- Organisational Data Intermediary: A data intermediary that provides data space enabling services to share data about organisations.
- Personal Data Intermediary: A data space intermediary that facilitates the management of personal data in data spaces.
- Use case Orchestrator: A data space participant that is in charge of a data space use case and manages the business, organisational and governance operations of that use case.
The DS4Skills Blueprint illustrates these roles and defines their governance and business models in the context of the skills data space. These terms will be referred to throughout the document.